Wednesday, June 13, 2007

returning home

I always thought going home meant visiting my family and staying in the house I grew up in here in beautiful Newman Lake...but I think I am starting to understand the whole "cleave unto your husband" thing- because dang it I miss Chay! I just want to be home- the home where I belong.

We have had simple fun up here on our visit. Kenzie has loved being outside playing with the kitty and being able to go wherever she wants with no worries from me. She has played a lot with cousins. The beauty of where I grew up is breathtaking- everything is green, mountains surrounding, trees as far as the eye can see...yet it isn't home without Chay.

One thing I have learned about marriage in these few years together is to treasure the peace Chay and I feel being a couple. Of course there are the tough times, the miscommunications, the hurt feelings, the boring meaningless times- but we are solid-depending on each other just enough and feeling whole by ourselves just enough to be comfortable and committed to each other for the rest of this life and well for eternity. I guess it is true when they say "distance makes the heart grow fonder" because this week being away has really made me appreciate Chay. So I thought I should write it down so I could read it when I need a reminder of how good I have it.

When I visit my family I always like to go through my bedroom closet and search through my boxes of pictures and keepsakes. This time around I came across a binder of letters and emails from guys I have dated from the start of college until I married Chay. They were so funny to read and it seemed like each guy was so different from the next. One was very romantic and overly passionate about me- one was a mysterious intellectual who said just enough to keep me liking him, one was super funny...bla bla bla...and as I read the letters I blushed almost like I was reliving the relationship for a second. I kept thinking what life would be like if I married one of these guys instead of Chay. Mckenzie just looked at me while I giggled through the letters. Then I looked up at her and could see so much of Chay in her and I thought, "I married the right person...I mean look who we have created. Plus no one could have put up with me like Chay has...so a romantic, intellectual,- all doesn't matter- just Chay...is all I need." So I am coming home...tomorrow.

Here is a video...just so Chay can get even more excited to see little Kenzie.


3 comments:

Marne said...

Well said April! I feel the same way...I LOVE coming home (to my own home with Chad). Nothing is better. Kenzie is adorable!

Unknown said...

April... I loved this entry. I really want that peace. Thank you always for your example and love. You always remind me of where I want and need to be someday. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Is that mullet baby playing the harmonica?