Tuesday, January 22, 2008

before I was a mom

something like this was forwarded to my mom- then forwarded to me- so I liked the concept and changed it a bunch, added new words- to fit me better...

before I was a mom

I never tripped over toys when I got out of bed.
I didn't worry about the plug-in outlets being covered.
I never thought about immunizations.

I had a nice stomach.
I didn't wear worn out nursing bras.
I got out of the house daily.

I never knew I could handle so much pain in child birth.
I never knew I could be so strong.

before I was a mom

I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Sucked on.
Peed on.

I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts. I wasn't hazy all day.
I slept all night.
I rarely lost my temper.
I could do whatever I wanted without scheduling it around nap time.
I would sing songs from the radio and not "popcorn popping".

before I was a mom

I never held down a screaming child so doctors could give them shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

before I was a mom

I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put him down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew how protective I would become.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

before I was a mom -

I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know my capacity to love would grow so much.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

before I was a Mom -

I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was ok.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a mother.

I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much-

before I was a mom.

5 comments:

Marne said...

Beautiful April!

Chay said...

April...you are an amazing wife, mom and best friend. I love reading your blogs. Thanks for being the person you are and for marrying me. I'm so thankful that you're my wife.

Tami said...

So true!! Don't we experience it all..we have some bad times so we cherish and enjoy the good times!

Tiffani said...

very nice april - you have a talent for writing - keep it up! Great job all you mothers out there - let's cheer each other on! I loved it....

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I SO relate to this! In fact, Kelly made me go get a new nursing bra Saturday because mine was SO warn out. I made him read your blog after that and he really laughed!