Monday, August 04, 2008

tribal rhythms



Tribal Rhythms Drum and Movement is the name of the community class I am taking.

Tonight was my first night. I am slowly attacking my "in my life" list. I have always wanted to learn how to play the djembe drum Chay surprised me with a few years ago. It has been one of my all time favorite birthday gifts. I pretend I know how to play...but I really don't. So I am excited to learn a thing or two.

First of all, the class is offered in a really neat place...it is in this huge old mansion built in 1893. The mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places- many community classes are offered at this place throughout the year like tribal rythms, african movement, water color, crochet, oil painting, photography...all artsy kind of stuff going on there-



The instructor's name is Deja. She was wearing sea shells and an african skirt. She had a nose ring and interestingly enough she was wearing hearing aids...she was about my age...she played my drum and told me she has never heard a more out of tune drum...so who cares if something is wrong with her hearing because after she tuned my drum it sounded so dang good. I was also the only one to show up tonight so it was just me and Deja for an hour. I like saying her name "Deja"

We conversed freely about our love for beat and percussion.

She taught me tone, slap, and base...and we then had a two person circle. It was all so very good for the soul let me tell you.

10 comments:

Marne said...

Cool April! Way to go on following your dreams and goals.

The Pyper Fam said...

Thats really cool! I'm glad you're doing that.
So I just got home from the Stake Center with helping the YW girls check in and get on the buses headed to Girls Camp. As soon as I pulled up and saw the buses, I was taken back to probably 1996 when we sat on that very bus, right next to each other, and while on that bus only said, 'excuse me, do you know what time it is?' to each other. Do you remember that. I was laughing inside. :)

April said...

Taraka, Is that how we first met??? That is so funny? oh the lovely bus ride to camp... Your mom was my tent leader my first year...

I just remember being YCL's with you and that one tall beautiful fake boob leader thinking we were all raised in barns....because we...well yeah I guess it would seem we were raised in barns now that I think about it...especially me and my gas problems- it's those beans I tell you. Taraka I just want to be at camp neighborlee with you right now. Did you see Joette?

Tara said...

Sounds like a great time, April! You'll have to show off your skills and put on a concert for us.

Tami said...

Sounds awesome..especially the one on one attention - you'll be playing like a pro soon! I can't wait to hear you play!

Natalie Jane said...

I have had lots of friends take those classes...but usually they went high.

April said...

Natalie yes it's pretty typical for the suburban middle class soccer mom to need some sort of outlet- I just figured pot was safer than meth

Delia D'Nell said...

WOW! I am jealous that sounds awesome! You will have to bring your drum in and play for us at work some time.

Calie said...

Where can I get one of those drums? I want to play one so bad. Alyssa took a class at school in 5th grade. It was part of her music learning. She was so good at it. I think she is a natural. I think she gets that from your side of the family. I love you Apey

Ann Marie said...

Wow, you really remind me of Megan sometimes! SHe loves the Djembe drum too..in fact one year I transported her custom made djembe drum from Spokane to Rexburg for her! I might have tried playin it in my apt a little bit before the peeps below started banging on the floor to shut up! Haha! Glad you're having fun!