Saturday, October 10, 2009

13 days of thirty are going fast....


on the eighth day of thirty my true love gave to me...

um...a front porch with cool pumpkin fall stuff.



I decided to support the community and get some pumpkins at a local farmer's market downtown...but then again, this farmer's market also sells papayas...so maybe not so local...

anyway so while Kenzie and Gage (my nephew) were going buck wild running up and down the rows of pumpkins and throwing straw into their hair and Julia with her head wedged between two hay bails, I shopped around for the perfect pumpkins.
...and you know, the traditional orange jack-o-latern pumpkins just didn't do it for me this year...unless I spray paint them white...maybe I will do that??? Does anybody know the name or type of these cool red pumpkins??? I'm planting them next year for sure.



And then I couldn't pass up the all the cute little pumpkin squash thingies- so I bought a bunch and threw them in my hanging flower baskets...



and of course my mums are in full swing and spreading like crazy...love mums.



I like my little front porch...

On the 9th day of thirty...I'd say my greatest gift was reading a C.S. Lewis journal that I purchased on clearance a couple weeks ago. I am still thinking about this quote:

"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is. After all, you find out the strength of the German army by fighting against it, not by giving in. You find out the strength of a wind by trying to talk against it, not by lying down. A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later...We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it. ~from Mere Christianity

I have fallen for temptation before and I always wonder about that God-given strength that was waiting right around the corner if I would have just held true to my principles...I love this quote. A great gift. A great reminder to keep holding on.

On the 10th day of 30...

THRIFT STORE TREASURES!!!!! I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do with this stuff...but it will all fit in somewhere at sometime-







Janna, you secretly want this lamp. I thought of you and your all white house when I saw it.






happy birthday to me...

3 comments:

Tami said...

Love the front porch and the pumpkins! And the flowers are pretty! So you will have to post what you do with your treasures at the thrift store - or even when you recover that cool chair!

Tiffani said...

Paul thinks this is just a ploy to go shopping for 13 days before your birthday! Hey if it works - I'm in!

Emily Taylor said...

Those pumpkins are so pretty. You were right.

I'm having to promise myself not to go to any thrift stores just because I love what you bought. Although I did buy about 12 new Mary Kay eye shadows from a garage sale yesterday for a quarter each. I was excited about that.