Wednesday, May 02, 2007

the moment

Well it happened... the moment I've been waiting for and even imagined before I was a mother.

Every night or almost every night Chay and I attempt to make bedtime somewhat special for little Kenzie. It is messy most of the time. Everyone is tired and cranky. We sing a song- usually a primary song and half the time we don't know all the words. Chay and I must have been both goof offs during singing time growing up because we are primary song illiterate. We manage "I am a Child of God" and "Families Can be together..." quite well. We then say a little prayer- which usually consists of asking Heavenly Father to help Kenzie sleep through the night.

So that is our little routine. Well tonight Kenzie warmed our hearts. After getting her pajama top on over her head, Chay mentioned it was time for song and prayer. Mckenzie folded her arms, bowed her head, and closed her eyes and started to pray in her jibberish. I am sure from the reaction she got from her parents probed her to keep doing it over and over again- but it was priceless.

Nothing is more important than teaching my children about Heavenly Father's perfect love for them. Sports, work ethic, reading...are all nice- but my wish is to have children with a burning testimony of the Savior first and before all. I was raised by a mother who freely expressed her faith daily. Growing up we were never ashamed to talk spiritually on a Wednesday afternoon. Our family doesn't have to be in a Family Home Evening setting to bring up a scripture or talk about God's hand in our life. Mom lives a Christ centered life instead of just having Christ apart of her life...He is her life... talk about an amazing example...yet so hard to follow her lead.

I am just grateful Kenzie is learning to talk to Heavenly Father. Chay and I couldn't stop smiling tonight. It was pure joy.

4 comments:

EDK said...

What a special moment that must have been for you...just one of so many that are to come.

Thank you, April. I have so many blessings because I tried to put Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ first in my life...and you are one of the greatest ones.

Unknown said...

I love the part about our family and how we discuss Christ and all things spiritual at any given moment. We have to!! How can we not!! What a beautiful entry April.. I wish I was there...

Marne said...

Isn't that the greatest April? I can't wait to see Kenzie again! :)

Calie said...

Moments of pure joy! What a wonderful daughter you have. You are wonderful too! Love you Apey.