Friday, August 17, 2007

first week

I sat in the rocking chair this morning, dazed, numb, in denial. I did not want to get up from that chair. I just wanted to sit there the entire day. I was holding Julia in one arm. I had just finished feeding her and I was letting my cracked, blistered nipple get some air- Kenzie was in my bedroom scattering clean clothes my mom just folded the night before all over the room.

I'm on day 12 with Julia. Even though things are tough they don't even compare to the first week home.

Postpartum. We really don't think much about it or even talk a whole lot about it. We all just get happy and smiley when we know someone had a brand new baby. Trust me-the week to serve is the first week after someone has a baby.

Exhausted, Dermaplast, lansinoh cream, Tucks, super maxi pads, engorgement, bleeding nipples, tired, ice packs, painful urination, tired, exhausted, emotions, sore muscles, achy hips, feedings every 2-3 hours, a toddler running around, hormones,...tired

The nurses at the hospital told me I was a nursing pro. They reassured me Julia was latched on perfectly. 3 days later Julia pukes up her feeding all over the floor and there was more blood than milk. I try pumping- the bottle filled up with blood. My nipples were coming off of my breast! At least it looked that way and felt that way.

I get very envious of those who don't have problems nursing. I had the same problem with Kenzie. Plus to complain even more- I have a broken breast due to surgery that Julia won't take because milk doesn't come out fast enough...talk about lopsided...oh brother

But I won't give up.

This too shall pass- it has to.

I guess these trials all bring us closer to Heavenly Father. Right when I want to go off about how unfair I have it- I am reminded of all the opportunities I have to call upon the Lord for help. When I was dilated to a 10 and going through severe contractions the midwife told me the combination of my swollen cervix and the position of the baby is preventing the birth to progress like it should. I immediately said with deep breaths, "Let's pray, Heavenly Father will help" My mom said a prayer and with the very next contraction the baby passed the cervix. The midwife smiled and said, "your baby just dropped a good 4 inches" Pain, trials, humility invites the needing of Heavenly Father. I say a prayer every time I breastfeed. I pray 20 times a night to get through the pain and discomfort.
I know Heavenly Father will help me. He already has a million times.

I can sense my faith is stronger than it used to be. I can feel myself wanting to get discouraged and feel depressed with all the changes- but there is that tiny ounce of strength, that little testimony deep down inside that tells me I can do this, the Lord will help me, my calling as mother is the highest calling I can obtain in the kingdom of God...these little reminders help keep me going, and get me off the rocking chair.

6 comments:

EDK said...

You are doing it,April. I wihed I lived closer...but I can never replace Heavenly Father and Mother and the knowledge they have. You are a wonderful mother and friend to those two precious girls. Call me when things get tough!

Calie said...

Oh April you are so wonderful. Hang in there....I feel your pain litterally....I expeirienced the axact same thing. When Alyssa was being blessed at church she was all dressed up in her beautiful blessing dress and right when we got to church she pucked up all down the front of it...more blood than milk. I will never forget it. It does pass. Postpartum goes away. I know you know that but when your going through it sometimes it feels like forever. You do have the right attitude about it. April you truely are an inspiration. What a wonderful mother you are. And Daughter and sister and wife and ....I love you.

Anonymous said...

hey april! how is it going ! this is taylor btw (by the way ♥) o man ! i so wish i could talk to you, if iu had a blog and all. oo and alsmost forgot to ask u, how is jules? she looks like a awesome babe ! =) ! well later april! love ya ♥ ☻ -- im going to go eat some breakfast =)

Unknown said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it when Taylor leaves a comment... cant you just feel his energetic adolescense through his words. Well April... I wish I could say that I can relate but well I cant... I do know trials though and I do understand Father always being close by. Oh the sweet love He has for each of us... Thank you for sharing your endurance with me.. it always strengthens my day. You are such an example to me.. you have no idea.

Anonymous said...

I tried to call you a couple of times today April, I wanted to see how things are going for you. After reading this I see...oh how I feel for you! You are right...this too shall pass...but when you are in the moment it seems never ending, doesn't it? You are such an inspiration to us all! Thanks for your insight! I still want to talk to you!!!

Anonymous said...

taylor

April, april, april, how how how is it a going going going -

april, today jo jo asked if i should go to a basball game, how do u feel on what should i do?

i want to see on your prespective.

for me i kind of don't enjoy baseball but if it's jo jo i would just go because so we hangout and stuff...

You have wonderful ideas that's why i came to u.

april i love you ! ♥ tell chay i said hi also , we haven't spoken for a long time =)

later ap!