Sunday, October 25, 2009

freegan finds fence

A freegan so I am.

So a while back ago I said to Chay, "I want a fence...a big tall one with lots of privacy. I want a 6 foot tall wood fence...for free."

Chay, "ok...good luck"

I am so grateful to be living in a formica neighborhood. Dave Ramsey calls neighborhoods like mine, "Formica neighborhoods" because you can upgrade your formica counter top with a new formica counter top without ever feeling it should be replaced with granite. Granite counter tops would look silly in a house like mine- plus they would cost more to install than to replace the roof.

This is not a picture of my kitchen...although close, very close.

My formica house doesn't live too far from some "granite" houses. Granite houses also like to upgrade from wood fences to nice shiny vinyl fences.

I thankfully live in a "wood fence" neighborhood too.

My thoughts one day to Chay, "there must be a lot of granite homes around here who are wanting to get rid of their wood fence for a vinyl fence...I am going to get a wood fence for free."

I posted an add on KSL. 2 weeks later a granite house lady called and was very appreciative that we would take down and haul away her wood fence.

Chay did an amazing job taking down the fence and putting it back up. We both did an amazing job stripping off the old paint- and I did an amazing job staining the whole thing on Saturday.

This whole fence business has taken us about a year to get it finally finished and done...but now I can finally say it..."It is done"! I love it! So worth the work. Right Chay???



Also, being that it is Sunday. I need to share some words that came at the perfect time for me. I spent the afternoon listening and reading conference talks. This TALK which is called "The Love of God", by Elder Uchtdorf was an answer to my prayers...I needed these words so much today. I've been sort of bummed lately and so these words were comforting to say the least. I know Elder Uchtdorf is an apostle of the Lord.

"Think of the purest, most all-consuming love you can imagine. Now multiply that love by an infinite amount—that is the measure of God’s love for you.

God does not look on the outward appearance. I believe that He doesn’t care one bit if we live in a castle or a cottage, if we are handsome or homely, if we are famous or forgotten. Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely.

He loves us because He is filled with an infinite measure of holy, pure, and indescribable love. We are important to God not because of our résumé but because we are His children. He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken. God’s love is so great that He loves even the proud, the selfish, the arrogant, and the wicked.

What this means is that, regardless of our current state, there is hope for us. No matter our distress, no matter our sorrow, no matter our mistakes, our infinitely compassionate Heavenly Father desires that we draw near to Him so that He can draw near to us." ~Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, conference report Oct. 2009

5 comments:

Heather said...

love the quote by President Uchtdorf!!!

We live in a formica neighborhood too. But I'll tell ya that i put my formica sample on my mom's granite counter and it about melted right into it - spittin' image!! :)

Good work on the free fence. I love it!

Keith said...

Way to go on the fence. Looks great. Sad we didn't see you and the girls this weekend. bye for now Keith & Mom

Marne said...

LOVE the fence! You are awesome...patience is always worth it. Good job!

I loved that talk by Pres Uchtdorf. Reading the conference talks over and over is so enriching.

Tiffani said...

I feel like I am part of your fence since I got to talk with you while you were staining it. Looks beautiful - great job on finding it!

Mrs. Olsen said...

Hmmm...makes me think that I should confidently state out loud: "I want a trampoline and swingset...for free" and "I will get a free trampoline and swingset for my yard".

Way to go. Also, thanks for reposting the conference quote. True faith can be accessed only when we have a TRUE understanding of God's character. Awesome!