Saturday, October 24, 2009

war on religion

Fight For Freedom Friday...on Saturday. I started to write this yesterday...oh and by the way, you know, I am so glad I am writing about this stuff. It is history as I am seeing it. I want the generations that follow me to know this about me: I was concerned, I saw detrimental steps in American History unfold before my eyes and that I fought for the founding principles of this country the best way I could.

I want your feedback and your thoughts...and tell me what you thought of Elder Oaks Devotional talk, "Religious Freedom". (link provided below)

....ok, Although I am quick to debate politics, I still believe the majority of us are missing the point- including me most of the time. Our fight for freedom in this country needs to start with GOD. Start with THE FAMILY. Start with teaching the FAMILY about GOD and about our precious freedom of RELIGION.

The real war that is destroying our country and it's freedoms is the Adversary's influence on us to subtly forget about God and subtly annihilate the family unit.

We can't solve the world's problems without God.

So maybe the 'fight for freedom' should be over God, morals, religion, and virtue rather than policies and politicians.

But when a politician stands firm on God-less policies, we must speak up and armour up.

Now the real question we must ask? What are God-less policies?

A couple weeks ago President Obama spoke at a Human Rights Campaign Dinner. His speech at this event is found HERE at the White House website. I really fear the words of this speech, although they sounded nice and comforting to the gay and lesbian community, they were ultimately wrong and God-less.

President Obama said,


"You will see a time in which we as a nation finally recognize relationships between two men or two women as just as real and admirable as relationships between a man and a woman. (Applause.) You will see a nation that's valuing and cherishing these families as we build a more perfect union -- a union in which gay Americans are an important part. I am committed to these goals. And my administration will continue fighting to achieve them.

There are still fellow citizens, perhaps neighbors, even loved ones -- good and decent people -- who hold fast to outworn arguments and old attitudes; who fail to see your families like their families; who would deny you the rights most Americans take for granted. And that's painful and it's heartbreaking. (Applause.) And yet you continue, leading by the force of the arguments you make, and by the power of the example that you set in your own lives -- as parents and friends, as PTA members and church members, as advocates and leaders in your communities. And you're making a difference.
Are we a nation that can transcend old attitudes and worn divides?
I've required all agencies in the federal government to extend as many federal benefits as possible to LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual Transgender) families as the current law allows. And I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and to pass the Domestic Partners Benefits and Obligations Act.

That's the promise we're called to fulfill. (Applause.) Day by day, law by law, changing mind by mind, that is the promise we are fulfilling."


"law by law"?

I believe gay couples should have the same tax benefits as anyone else. They should have the same rights as me and you- But I don't think they should get married only because the word "marriage" means a religious and/or legal union between a man and a woman. That is the definition. So it's like holding up a gallon of milk and calling it peanut butter.

What does President Obama's speech have anything to do with religious freedom?

Three days after the Human Rights Campaign Dinner, Elder Oaks, an apostle of the Lord, spoke to the world about religious freedoms and how they are in jeopardy. Read the talk HERE.

Elder Oaks said,

"The greatest infringements of religious freedom occur when the exercise of religion collides with other powerful forces in society. Among the most threatening collisions in the United States today are (1) the rising strength of those who seek to silence religious voices in public debates, and (2) perceived conflicts between religious freedom and the popular appeal of newly alleged civil rights... I invite your careful attention to what I say on these subjects, because I am describing conditions you will face and challenges you must confront.

During my lifetime I have seen a significant deterioration in the respect accorded to religion in our public life, and I believe that the vitality of religious freedom is in danger of being weakened accordingly.

Religious belief is obviously protected against government action. The practice of that belief must have some limits, as I suggested earlier. But unless the guarantee of free exercise of religion gives a religious actor greater protection against government prohibitions than are already guaranteed to all actors by other provisions of the constitution (like freedom of speech), what is the special value of religious freedom? "


When President Obama pushes for gay rights laws we must pay attention to the bigger picture. (everything progressives push, we need to pay attention to- always the bigger picture, the long term outcome.)

Elder Oaks continues with this:

"Religious freedom needs defending against the claims of newly asserted human rights. The so-called “Yogyakarta Principles,” published by an international human rights group, call for governments to assure that all persons have the right to practice their religious beliefs regardless of sexual orientation or identity.[xiv] This apparently proposes that governments require church practices and their doctrines to ignore gender differences. Any such effort to have governments invade religion to override religious doctrines or practices should be resisted by all believers. At the same time, all who conduct such resistance should frame their advocacy and their personal relations so that they are never seen as being doctrinaire opponents of the very real civil rights (such as free speech) of their adversaries or any other disadvantaged group."

Can you imagine the day when Government decides to override the Freedom of Religion by interpreting our sacred doctrines and forcing religions to accept homosexuality as a way to protect so called "civil rights"? If any right is being violated during the whole Prop 8 ordeal, it was the first Right, the First Amendment: Freedom of Religion.

President Hinckley wrote in his book "Standing for Something":

"In too many ways, we have substituted human sophistry for the wisdom of the Almighty."

5 comments:

Heather said...

wow - very interesting topic!!! Jimmy and I have been talking this week about Elder Oaks talk... a great and powerful message. I still need to read the entire text, but what a timely message!!

As for Obama's speech... sad... sad... "old attitudes"... last I checked, God's commandments didn't get 'old'.

The other day I saw a quote on the internet, "Freedom comes from taking risks." So I asked JImmy what he thought of that. His response... "Freedom comes from God."

And last night in Mosiah 5 we read, "And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free."

Anyhoo... it's interesting how it's all tied together and makes me realize how blessed we are to have religious freedom - i hope it lasts!!!

Megan Potter said...

sheesh. ok I have a few comments and views on this one.
Ok if gay people want to be married...or rather "commit", great. I think if thats the way they are gonna live...they might as well be commited and monogomas right? Yet I don't know any religion that "believes" in homosexuality or supports it. So what the heck does homosexual marriage have anything to do with religion, and are the majority of people wanting a homosexual marriage religious??? I think the main point for them is the fight of PRINCIPLE; like "why can't I get married just because I'm gay? I should be able to..am I not equal to someone who is straight?" I understand wanting to prove a point. But besides that, when many straight people these days are loosing thier value for marriage saying, "what difference is a piece of paper...we are commited for life." can't or don't people living in homosexual relationships think the same? In my opinion marriage is a legally binding covenant between man and woman...and most religious people believe in marriage, because it is not "right" to live together...without being married. So if most gay people aren't "religous" why is it so important that they get married??? I agree April that the war is against the Adversary...and he is attacking the family. And if government gets involved in Religion...then what the heck is the point of "FREEDOM OF RELIGION"?? Last I understood was that the government doesn't control religion in this country. Politics wants to leave God out of everything and get him out of the Pledge of Allegance and out of the schools etc. Now how the heck could they try to CHANGE religions? If that ever happens this country will shortly therafter BURN!!
Anyway this issue is hard for me cause I believe in family and marriage, I don't believe practicing homosexuality is morally right, yet I have dear loved ones who are homosexual, and I understand Homosexuality-at least I've tried hard to understand it, and what does it hurt me if they get married??
ok sorry about the ranting...but these are my jumbled thoughts. HOpe it makes sence. In the end we all need to follow the Prophet, not the President.

April said...

Megan,
I am dear friends with gay people also- and it really has never bothered me being around them- I just sort of understand who they are and how they think and I just see them as a child of God dealing with a grave sin and/or tendency.

The moral standards in the world are set to where homosexuality is now acceptable... and so one who deals with such an issue can now feel more comfortable. The moral standard has dropped- tolerance for such a sin has increased...so with this surrounding us at all times it is easy for us to say, "why can't they just get married?" I know, I have asked myself that very same question. Marriage "used" to be religious. From its orgin, the ceremony was religious. It is us who have dropped religion out of the ceremony. Committment isn't really important when the committment isn't right. I think gays are fighting for marriage so much even though the trend is to not get married, especially in hetrosexual relationships, because it is something they can't have and they feel discriminated. I can understand that. I really do. But I just have to listen to the prophet. I was so impressed when the prophet stood boldly for prop 8. We must stand for families. We must stand against evil.

Homosexuality could become so accepted that it could be taught to our children at schools as an acceptable lifestyle- probably not in Utah for awhile, but even though gay people are neat and decent human beings, we can't accept it. It is morally wrong and will destroy our nation faster than anything- we will be ridiculed so much for believing this- and imagine what our children will go through and our children's children. In 50+ years, our faith will be considered evil and oppressive- our views on homosexuality will bring us much persecution- I know it will.

I am starting to realize how special and powerful marriage really is- because of what elder oaks said and this whole gay marriage fight has really made me honor this sacred union.

The whole dynamics of the family will change if this becomes more and more acceptable. People chosing to be gay or those who act out on tendency or experimentation will only result in less children coming to the earth.

The bible teaches us that homosexuality is wrong and yet we swear on the bible in the court system and our president swears on it when inagurated- The human rights movement with gays and lesbians will take God out of more and more government policies and practices- it is a evil design by the adversary.

A lot to think about. I understand where you are coming from- but we can't be tolerable. We can be loving and non judgemental- but we have to protect the family and marriage. Homosexuality can't be accepted ever. Not in marriage, not in the school system, not in religion, not in government- but our morals are declining and so for the first time in history we are accepting this to be ok- and oh dear- like you said, BURN baby BURN. The second coming might come faster than I ever thought- we are going down at light speed it feels.

I love you Megan.

Tiffani said...

I love this post- I am linking it from my blog. Thanks, Tiff

Me~Kelly said...

while our religious views differ I 100% agree in your political stance and for the same reasons. Freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion is what I always say. I am so saddened by the moral decline of our dear country and at times I feel helpless but am comforted to know that God wins in the end.