Wednesday, September 08, 2010

armoire

I love saying the word armoire. armoire. My spell checker is saying armoire isn't a word or that I'm misspelling it, but I'm not. Wiktionary agrees with me also.

The day I went into labor I wasn't planning on going into labor. I usually go the full 40 weeks with my babies. So on July 7th I hauled the two girls and my big belly to Home Depot to get another paint roller brush for the armoire I was currently painting. The girls insisted I push them around in the "car" cart-



well the wheel was broken on the cart- and so it felt like I was pushing 2 tons of bricks instead of 2 little girls who together barely weigh 70 lbs. By the time I came home from my trip to the home depot, I was contracting.

So the Armoire. Armoire. Armoire. The armoire's drawers and doors were all over the living room.- Despite my uncomfortableness of being in LABOR, I quickly finished painting the armoire before going to the hospital. Well before the hospital we also went to Texas Road House for a good meal- because I wasn't sure when I'd get real food again.

After Xander was nicely established into our lives, we finished the armoire's last touches a couple weeks after he was born. I love how it turned out.

Here is the before: The oak finish was already sanded in this picture. But for those who want to know, it was just that dated 80's oak color that anyone over age 50 just LOVES. I know it's practically a sin to paint oak...especially for my Dad...and again to anyone over 50- but what can I say- it's got to be white!!!!

Before:



Here is Chay (with his socks on) cutting out the middle section of the armoire's doors with the hand saw.



and here is the after:





we cut out the middle of the doors and put glass in- and then I looked forever and a day for the perfect fabric or paper to put in the glass- and then I just gave up and used wrapping paper I had in my basement- but we designed it so it's easy to replace. We put mirrors on the other side of the glass so I can do make-up and hair in the bedroom instead of doing it in the 2x4 bathroom we all happen to share at the moment. Ok our bathroom is probably bigger than 2X4- but you get my point. SMALL SPACE.

anyway- I love the armoire. Fun project...what next can I paint????

9 comments:

Sarah Gibby said...

So I need to go push my kids around in a broken car cart, sounds good to me! I'm so ready for this baby to come. The armoire looks beautiful. =)

Emily Taylor said...

April, I love it. It is so so cute. You guys did a great job. I love the fabric choice.

Tonya said...

Looks fabulous!

Me~Kelly said...

i can't believe how cute that is! i also can not believe u finished painting and hit TR before the hospital - u r hard core :)

Mothership said...

Oh, my gosh! April, great job! Super cute, fresh and smart. Love it, love it, love it.

Dorene said...

April, I am SO impressed with your vision, your ingenuity and your go get 'em attitude. Your armoire is adorable!! You need to check out kelly's friends blog (AAAplusOne) she does some of the same stuff however yours is more industrious!
Hope all is well with you and the growing family!

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

Wow!! That is really really pretty!

Elissa said...

that turned out super cute! I love it!

Laura said...

It's beautiful!!